Quill is made to be intuitive to artists. It's expressive, efficient and comfortable to use over a long period of time.
Quill can handle arbitrarily complex layer hierarchies, which helps artists keep their illustrations organized.
Very Large Files
Quill is designed to handle large paintings, with millions of strokes, and load them quickly and efficiently.
Frame-by-frame style animation. A set of powerful tools and workflows allow artists to control the look and feel of the animation without requiring any traditional CG technical knowledge, such as rigging or curve manipulation.
Production Pipeline Support
Besides arbitrary layer scoping and huge data file support, Quill integrates in production pipelines through export into Alembic and FBX file formats that can be read in Maya, Houdini or even Photoshop. We also provide example materials for use in Unity and Unreal Engine. Lastly, a standalone and very efficient Quill viewer is provided to quickly debug assets.
Infinite and Precise Canvas
Quill supports large extensions of drawings — draw and dress the whole production world or game level knowing there won't be a precision glitch. In fact, in Quill, users can draw a real-scale version of the solar system at sub-millimeter precision. The trick: A powerful design for Quill's internal layer nesting system.
Spatial Audio Support
WAV and MP3 sound files can be imported. Mono sounds can be used spatially; ambisionic sounds are supported as well.
Flexible Erasers, Colorizers and Adjustment Tools
Quill makes it easy to modify a drawing or a stroke after the fact. Quill is optimized for such operations, which are crucial to fast iteration and the creative process.
Maximum Image Quality
Quill puts the image quality first. From the antialiasing level of the rendering to the handling of transparencies, Quill uses state-of-the-art technology to make sure artists enjoy the smoothest and most elegant paint strokes possible.
August. 15, 2018
- Added World Space axis snapping for the Line tool (press ALT index finger).
- Added Line as ALT mode of Paint tool.
- Added grab Line while drawing it, right hand grab button.
- Added color space options for FBX export.
- Added materials to FBX exporter for double sided vs single sided geometry.
- Added restricted locomotion option for more comfort.
- Added hand animation clip status indicator.
- Added ability to move pivot on constrained axis (use index trigger with gimbal axes).
- Colorize tool is now soft by default (ALT resize to change inner hard radius).
- Now selection state will temporary disappear while transforming or using tools.
- Duplicating keyframe now creates one frame instead of copying the number of holds.
- Improved UI proximity cursor switching.
- Improved Share to Facebook Spaces workflow.
- Flatten group now has its own contextual button.
- Fixed crash when loading big files (>2 GB).
- Fixed Spaces reference table state on file load/save.
- Fixed brush grid helper state on file load/save.
- Fixed frame synchronization issues between animation clips.
- Fixed merging a flipped layer slightly alters the geometry of some of the strokes.
- Fixed undo/redo not correctly restoring state after several iterations following a layer merge.
- Fixed selection from bottom layer continues to exist in invalid state after layer merge.
- Fixed transparent PNG image layers incorrectly had color pre-multiplied by alpha.
- Fixed crash when using paint or line tool with a non-paint layer selected.
- Fixed some tools not working properly after merging animated layers.
- Fixed clip looping status not correctly updating in the UI.
- Fixed selection transform pivot resetting during undo and some operations.
May. 1, 2018
- Added share Quillustrations to Facebook Spaces functionality.
- Improved image and animation capture tools.
- Added 360 equirectangular capture.
- Added Optimize tool to simplify stroke detail.
- Added Ogg Vorbis support for audio layers.
- Added support for frame by frame animations in FBX exports using visibility curves.
- Added merging of animated layers.
- Improved rendering performance for large scenes.
- Added Viewpoints to save and recall various point of views into a scene.
- Added recenter view on layer function.
- Added copy selection to all frames of an animation.
- Improved save failure recovery, existing files will no longer be corrupted if save fails.
- Flatten group now has its own contextual button.
- Fixed crash exporting Alembic models.
- Fixed UVs no longer present in FBX export (now an option).
- Fixed Quill not starting when rift headphones not detected.
- Fixed Alembic exports no longer contain empty layers (crashed importing application).
- Fixed crash when using selection tool to clear the selection while transforming it.
- Fixed copy selection to animation frame not correctly converting layer coordinate systems.
- Fixed crash when flattening empty groups.
- Fixed 3D exports of models with vertex color not containing vertex colors.
- Fixed layer transparency not respected in 3D exports.
- Fixed animation frames sometimes not re-loading correctly (random holds or empty frames).
- Fixed positional sound bug.
Feb. 8, 2018
- Added animated paint layers and animation clip panel.
- Added animated brush settings to control how strokes are drawn while clips are playing.
- Added round capped brushes.
- Added auto width and transparent taper options to the previous pressure-sensitive options.
- Added brush volume grid to help with depth perception.
- Improved performance and memory use of drawings with lots of layers.
- Added ability to import a Quill drawing in document open tab.
- Added flatten group functionality (use merge button on a group).
- Added automatic stabilization to video captures.
- Implemented Alembic export of animated paint layers.
- 360 viewer locked image layers can now be scaled and rotated.
- Selection transform now shows gimbal tool.
- New option to repeat duplicate selection transform to new animation frames.
- Changed non-dominant hand thumbstick push down to toggle showing transform gimbal instead of auto-select transform object.
- Fixed video clips capturing at incorrect speed on heavy scenes.
- Fixed flipped layers rendering back instead of front faces.
- Fixed crash when deleting the selection while transforming it.
- Fixed crash with selection tool when non-paint layers were selected.
- Fixed crash when starting two-hand transform during one hand transform of the selection.
- Fixed crash during the application exit process that could in some instances could cause an infinite crash loop.
Sept. 20, 2017
- FBX and Alembic exports now include reference images and meshes.
- Added Color Dodge and Burn colorizer blend modes.
- Fixed issue with File selector for images not properly resetting to 2D Images.
- Fixed crash when exporting very large cubemaps.
- Fixed crash when duplicate transforming root.
- Fixed crash when switching to/from selection tool while drawing.
- Fixed crash when loading a file when a layer is selected for moving.
Sept. 11, 2017
- Added transform toolbox and gimbal widget, ability to grab and transform selection only. Added ability to flip layers.
- Updated Selection tool; selection resets each time tool is used. Added visual +/- indicator to tool preview.
- Changed opacity method; now when using tool opacity on strokes, opacity will build up, but when using layer opacity on fully opaque strokes, the opacity will be changed evenly for all the strokes (no overdraw).
- Added viewer locked option for image layers; 360 images stay locked to your head while 2D images can be placed in your workspace like detached UI panels.
- The secondary hand lower button (X in right-hand mode) now toggles between current tool and selection tool.
- The primary hand lower button (A in right-hand mode) will delete the selection if there is one.
- The secondary hand joystick push down will toggle auto-select - layer for moving (secondary hand cursor color will change).
- Added +/- visual indicator to Thicken/Thin tool.
- Fixed crash when saving home/camera position.
- Fixed auto select transform layer proximity code.
- Fixed color picking strokes not always returning the closest match.
- Fixed thumb stick color shifting; shift value/saturation or hue based on where cursor is hovering.
- Fixed issue with the nudge tool not working correctly when working on the selection if the layer was transformed.
- Fixed saturation colorizer; when saturating a completely desaturated color, the hue from the current color will be used instead of blue.
- Evened out the UI sounds volumes.
Aug. 28, 2017
- Added detachable and scalable UI (grab a toolbox title bar to separate it and place it where wanted).
- Added new blend modes to the colorizer tool (add, multiply, screen, overlay, darken and lighten).
- Added 3D model import (obj format only, no materials).
- Now modifying tools (eraser, colorizer, thicken, nudge) only work on the selection if there is one.
- Improved transparency composition of overlapping strokes.
- Added UI sounds volume setting in settings panel.
- Added volume control for non-spacialized sounds.
- Fixed brush preview opacity to match paint and line tool opacity.
- Fixed color picking from image layers (2D images only).
- Fixed 360 image layers not rendering correctly in image captures.
- Fixed auto grab for 360 equirectangular spheres and cubemaps image layers.
- Fixed image captures not respecting size and distance culling.
- Fixed imported images, audio and model layers; default name is the file name.
- Fixed system window stretching VR preview (aspect ratio of preview window is now correct).
Aug. 2, 2017
- Added 360 mono and stereo image import (with transparencies) in both equirectangular and cubemap formats.
- Added 3D sound.
- Added Opacity blend mode.
- New gallery Quillustrations.
- Fixed Line tool.
- Fixes to FBX exporter.
- Fixes to precision for expansive drawings.
- More accurate color picking and autograb.
- Joystick left/right is undo and redo.
- Joystick up/down is new layer and merge layer.
- Several other UX improvements.
- Several other general fixes.